We love pumpkins this time of the year. Warming and filling and specially good during the Holiday season.
This luscious Pumpkin Soup topped with Toasted Pistachio recipe is so easy. This soup can be made with fresh or canned pumpkin.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1½ cups chopped carrot (about 2 medium)
- 1 cup chopped onion (about 1 medium)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 5 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth, divided
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can salt-free pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted shelled pistachios , toasted
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add carrot, and onion; cook 10 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add 3 cups broth and black pepper; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Place one-third of vegetable mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid spills). Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining vegetable mixture.
- Return pureed vegetable mixture to Dutch oven; stir in remaining 2 cups broth and pumpkin. Cook over low heat for 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in juice. Ladle 1 cup soup into each of 6 bowls; top each serving with about 1 teaspoon toasted pistachios. Serve immediately.
Adapted from Cooking Light.