Roasted Acorn Squash with Pine Nuts, with its lovely orange flesh makes an elegant side dish.
The acorn squash is roasted at 400F, which concentrates its flavor and brings some sweetness to this fabulous meal.
This dish pairs particularly very well with roasted chicken or turkey.
Pleasantly sweet and delicious, pine nuts bring some crunchiness and a buttery textured to the dish! They are also a very good source of plant derived nutrients, essential minerals, vitamins and “heart friendly” mono-unsaturated fatty acids.
- 2 small acorn squash
- 2 Tablespoons
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 garlic cloves, halved
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F Coat a shallow baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cut the squash crosswise into rings ½ inch thick, leaving the peel intact. Scrape the seeds out of the center of each ring and discard. Place the rings in the prepared baking dish in a single layer, allowing them to overlap slightly. Brush with 1 Tablespoon of the olive oil, and sprinkle with ⅛ tsp of the salt. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the garlic and pine nuts with the remaining 1Tablespoon olive oil. Sprinkle the garlic and pine nuts evenly over the squash rings and continue baking until the squash is tender and the pine nuts are lightly browned, about 10 to 15 mins longer.
- Season the squash rings with the remaining ⅛ tsp salt and the pepper. Serve immediately.
Category: Side Dishes