Kale is no ordinary vegetable with his unique flavor and vibrant color.
This green vegetable makes a nutritious, delicious green salad. The leaves become tender after a light marinating “massage”.
Kale has gained fame as a source of calcium that is absorbed by our bodies about twice as well as the calcium from dairy products.
It can be a rather though green to eat raw, especially if large leaves are used.
To improve its appeal, cut it matchstick thin and marinate it in a citrus-based dressing.
- 1 bunch kale
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 6 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tangerine, peeled, seeded, and cut in segments
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper , julienned
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- Wash kale and remove stems. Chiffonade the leaves by stacking them, then rolling them lengthwise and slicing them into thin strips.
- Place sliced leaves into a large bowl with 4 Tablespoons olive oil, lemon juice, and sea salt.
- Use your hands to gently massage the kale with the marinade, for about 1 minute.
- Add more olive oil as needed to lightly coat and soften the kale.
- Add fennel, red pepper, tangerines, and walnuts.
- Serve cold or room temperature.