How about an Italian dish for dinner!
This hearty filled pasta dish will feed a crowd. This dish is Italian comfort food at its best.
This is by far my favorite italian dish!
This manicotti is a great make ahead meal. You can just assemble it and keep it covered in the fridge until you’re ready to bake it.
I used turkey sausage and part skim ricotta and mozzarella to keep this a bit lighter.
- 1/2 LB Turkey Sausage
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 14-1/2 oz cans diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1 6-oz can tomato paste
- 1 egg
- 1 large large bag spinach, cooked and chopped
- 3/4 cup grated fresh parmesan
- 2 cups grated mozzarella
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 cooked manicotti
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Remove casing from sausage and cook in a large skillet over medium high heat, breaking meat with a spoon, when cooked through, reserve.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat, add onions, and cook until tender, 8 minutes. Add diced tomatoes, oregano, basil and tomato paste. Mix well and bring to boil, then lower heat and simmer about 20 minutes.
- Beat egg in a large bowl, mix with chopped spinach, 1/2 cup parmesan, mozzarella and cottage cheese, breadcrumbs, garlic powder, cooked sausage and salt and pepper.
- Fill cooked manicotti with cheese mixture. Ladle some sauce in a baking dish, place the stuffed manicotti onto the sauce, pour remaining sauce over noodles, sprinkle some 1/4 cup parmesan.
- Cover with foil and cook for 45 minutes. Uncovered and cook another 15 minutes.
Category: Main Dishes