A simple dish for a great meal. Spinach and sausage stuffed manicotti is comfort food at its best.
This hearty filled pasta dish will feed a crowd.
This is by far my favorite italian dish!
This manicotti is a great make ahead meal. This is a delicious recipe that can be assembled in advance then baked just before serving.
I used turkey sausage and part-skim mozzarella to keep the dish a bit lighter.
- ½ LB Turkey Sausage
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 14-1/2 oz cans diced tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon basil
- 1 6-oz can tomato paste
- 1 egg
- 1 large bag spinach, cooked and chopped
- ¾ cup grated fresh parmesan
- 2 cups grated part-skim mozzarella
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- ¼ cup dry breadcrumbs
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 cooked manicotti
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Remove casing from sausage and cook in a large skillet over medium high heat, breaking meat with a spoon, when cooked through, reserve.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat, add onions, and cook until tender, 8 minutes. Add diced tomatoes, oregano, basil and tomato paste. Mix well and bring to boil, then lower heat and simmer about 20 minutes.
- Beat egg in a large bowl, mix with chopped spinach, ½ cup parmesan, mozzarella and cottage cheese, breadcrumbs, garlic powder, cooked sausage and salt and pepper.
- Fill cooked manicotti with cheese mixture. Ladle some sauce in a baking dish, place the stuffed manicotti onto the sauce, pour remaining sauce over noodles, sprinkle ¼ cup parmesan.
- Cover with foil and cook for 45 minutes. Uncovered and cook another 15 minutes.