This Leek and Potato Tart is real comfort food. A vegetable tart with exceptionally great flavor.
Leeks look like huge green onions but their flavor is much milder and when sautéed they actually become sweet. You want to use the white and light green parts. Make sure you wash them very well to get all the dirt out.
This tart can be made ahead of time, kept in the refrigerator over night then warmed up in the oven or microwave. You can serve it as an appetizer, as a side dish or as a main dish.
There’s something very comforting about leek and potato. Great for a cold night served with a side salad and some fresh bread, this is such a warming meal.
This tart has great flavor. Very tasty and it is always a big hit! This tart makes dinner simple.
- Favorite pie crust for 1 9-inch pie
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced leek (about 1 large)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium peeled baking potato, halved lengthwise and cut into ¼-inch-thick slices (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 3 eggs
- ⅓ cup (1½ ounces) grated Gruyère or Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 10-inch tart pan with a removable bottom with the pie crust. Trim off the excess. Using a fork, prick the bottom of the crust all over. Line the crust with foil and add weights or dried beans; this keeps the crust from puffing up.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until just lightly browned. Remove from the oven.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the leek, pepper, and potato; sauté 4 minutes. Spread leek mixture into prepared crust.
- Place the milk, eggs, cheeses, and mustard in a blender, and process until smooth. Pour milk mixture over leek mixture. Bake at 375° for 40 minutes; let stand for 10 minutes.
Category: Main Dishes