Raspberries and Chocolate are longtime friends and they do their part to liven up these scones.
Whole Wheat pastry flour created a tender, flavorful scone. The chocolate creates wonderful goodness, especially when these scones are served warm.
Enjoy these Whole Wheat Raspberry Chocolate Scones for breakfast or for teatime.
Fell free to experiment with the recipe by adding nuts, or other fruits.
- 1¼ cups whole wheat pastry flour or whole wheat flour
- 1¼ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup butter, cold and unsalted
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- 1 cup raspberries (unthawed if frozen)
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a large bowl mix together flours, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt.
- Using a pastry blender or a fork, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together the egg, milk and vanilla. Add all at ounce, to the dry ingredients, and stir lightly and quickly with a fork until the dough is evenly moistened.
- Add the raspberries and chocolate chips.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface, and knead two or three times.
- Make a circle with the dough and divide the circle into wedges.
- Transfer the scones to a baking sheet, leaving an inch of space between them. Bake the scones until puffed and golden brown. 22-25 minutes.