This hearty vegetarian soup warms up chilly nights. Use any type of canned beans you happen to have on hand or if you have more time to spend in the kitchen, you can start from scratch and cook some dried beans.
I always keep a variety of canned beans in my pantry. They are often a lifesaver on week night.
This Two bean soup with Spinach makes a great weeknight dinner. It only takes 20 -30 minutes to come together. It’s healthy, delicious and it easily lasts for two nights when serving two people. I like to serve this soup with baked crostini with tomatoes and parmesan.
I love beans. Dried beans are a wonderful and inexpensive whole food. Beans are a powerhouse of soluble fiber, iron and protein.
Looking for something filling for lunch or a light dinner, this two bean soup is the answer. This soup is versatile, you can add you favorite vegetables and your favorite beans!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped carrot
- 1 yellow squash, diced
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups organic vegetable broth
- 6 cups chopped spinach
- 2 (15-ounce) cans no-salt-added cannellini beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add olive oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion, carrot, squash, and celery, and sauté 6 minutes or until tender. Stir in ¼ teaspoon salt and garlic; cook 1 minute. Stir in 4 cups vegetable broth and spinach. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 3 minutes or until spinach is crisp-tender.
- Add cannellini beans, black beans, and pepper to soup. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, pepper and thyme