Butternut’s creamy texture makes this soup silky smooth.
Fragrant and sweet, this butternut squash and coconut milk soup is spiked with Thai flavors. Pumpkin may be used in place of the squash; both will give the immune system a powerful beta-carotene boost.
Serve this flavored soup as a first course, or as a smooth vegetable stew over rice with a side of cooked greens.
Coconut milk brings a creamy and exotic touch to your sweet and savory dishes. Coconut milk replace the cream in this delicious soup, thanks to its smoothness, its remarkable flavor, its silky texture and whiteness.
This is the time of the year when a good soup is more than welcome.
Do not store the whole squash in the refrigerator, store at room temperature : one to three months.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1.25 liters (5 cups) butternut squash cubed
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) chopped ginger
- 10 ml (2 tsp.) chopped garlic
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) red curry paste
- 1 can ( 13.66 oz) coconut milk 398 ml
- 1.5 liters (6 cups) vegetable broth
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) chopped cilantro
- In a saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Cook the squash cubes 3 to 4 minutes. Add onion, ginger and garlic. Cook 1 to 2 minutes. Add curry paste and stir. Cook until the aromas are released.
- Pour the coconut milk and vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Cover and cook for 20-25 minutes over low-medium heat until the squash is tender.
- Pour the soup in the container of the blender and blend for 45 to 60 seconds until a smooth cream. When ready to serve, sprinkle some cilantro.