This Broccoli and Cheddar soup is delicious and hearty. Made with fresh broccoli and grated cheddar cheese for a wonderful flavor.
Make sure you use freshly grated cheese, no pre-shredded in this recipe for a smooth texture.
A lighter version of the popular broccoli cheddar soup using reduced-fat milk.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups fresh broccoli, washed and chopped
- 2½ cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Heat oil in a large nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; saute 3 minutes or until tender. Add broth and broccoli. Bring broccoli mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; cook 10 minutes.
- Combine milk and flour, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Add milk mixture to broccoli mixture. Cook 5 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring constantly. Stir in pepper. Remove from heat; add cheese, stirring until cheese melts.
- Place one-third of the soup in a blender or food processor, and process until smooth. Return pureed soup mixture to pan.
- Adapted from Cooking Light Magazine