Making your own Red Bell Pepper Relish is very easy and so much better than anything you can buy in the store. This relish makes a nice complement to many foods.
You can skip fancy sauces or marinades and instead use the red bell pepper relish to finish off your dish.
The red pepper flakes gives this relish a nice little tingly heat, feel free to add more red pepper flakes for more heat.
- 3 red bell peppers, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup cider vinegar
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper or more to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a saucepan, bring all of the ingredients to a boil. Simmer for about 35 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and the liquid has almost completely evaporated. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cool and refrigerate for about 2 hours. Freeze or put into jars. Sterilize for 15 minutes in boiling water for a long shelf life.