This easy chicken dinner is a real simple one-dish meal because you cook both the chicken and the pasta in the same pot, then add the tomatoes, the peas, herbs and cheese. Only one pot to clean.
This satisfying dish can be made even more nutritious with the addition of some spinach.
Here’s a quick little recipe that makes a great, complete meal. This orzo chicken asiago is a flavor dish with the aromatic and the herbs.
Even better the day after, Orzo Chicken Asiago reheat very well.
You can make a slightly different dish by altering the herbs and the cheese. Healthy and comforting week night meal.
- 1 pound chicken breast, boneless, skinless, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1¼ cups orzo, uncooked
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup diced fresh tomatoes
- ¼ cup green onion, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup Asiago cheese, grated
- Place chicken broth and wine into a large Dutch oven. Bring to boil. Add the chicken pieces and orzo. Reduce the heat and simmer 12 minutes, or until orzo is cooked, stirring constantly. Add the salt and herbs (basil, oregano, rosemary) after the orzo has cooked for about 6 minutes. Just as the orzo is finishing, add the fresh tomatoes and green onions. Cook for 1 minute. Remove pasta mixture from heat. Add the peas. Stir in to help cool the mixture. Add the cheese and parsley and season with salt and pepper.