For this week’s Sunday Supper featuring winter squash, I could not think of a better dish than this hearty stew. The quinoa and chicken stew combines with the sweet butternut squash for a completely satisfying meal that is full of flavor and good-for-you goodness.
I love butternut squash for its sweet flavor, silky texture, and versatility in recipes. I use it in both savory and sweet dishes. It’s the easiest of all the winter squashes to cook, because of its smooth skin.
What’s not to like about a fragrant stew for a Sunday Supper? My recipe for this stew mingles protein-rich quinoa, chicken, and butternut squash. This fall recipe is sure to warm you up with the taste of home. The flavor is exquisite, yet it is low in calories and fat while still satisfying your Sunday afternoon craving for comfort food.
This stew is perfect for Sunday Supper because it can be made in advance. However you may need to add a little more chicken broth or water before serving because the quinoa will expand as it rests.
This recipe is inspired by Cookin Canuck.
It’s Sunday suppertime. Relax, enjoy, and find time for family, friends, and the good food that ties it all together.
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 pounds boned, skinned chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 ½ lb. butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed into ½-inch pieces
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa
- Parsley for garnish
- Bring broth to a simmer in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add chicken and lower heat to a simmer. Cook chicken, covered, 15 to 20 minutes, or until cooked through; transfer to a plate.
- Pour broth into a large bowl and set aside. Wipe out pot.
- Add oil, onion, and salt to pot and cook over medium heat until onion softens and is starting to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in cumin, coriander, curry powder, and garlic; cook 2 minutes. Add cayenne, diced tomatoes, reserved broth, and butternut squash. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 15 minutes. Add quinoa and simmer another 10–15 minutes until the quinoa turns translucent.
- Meanwhile, shred chicken.
- Add shredded chicken to pot, and heat through.
- Stir in parsley
And finally, please check out this week’s Sunday Supper contributors:
Breakfasts and Breads
- Maple Butternut Squash Donuts from Mess Makes Food
- Pumpkin Sweet Rolls from Basic N Delicious
- Vegan Pumpkin Scones with Maple Nutmeg Icing from Killer Bunnies, Inc
Appetizers, Starters, and Condiments
- Butternut Squash and Couscous Patties-Indian Inspired from Soni’s Food
- Pumpkin Hummus with Spiced Lamb from girlichef
- Quick Pumpkin Butter from Shockingly Delicious
Soups, Sandwiches, and Salads
- Black Bean and Butternut Squash Chili from Supper for a Steal
- Black Bean Pumpkin Soup from What Smells So Good?
- Butternut Squash and Bacon Grilled Cheese from Ruffles & Truffles
- Butternut Squash Soup from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Hearty Quinoa Chicken Stew with Butternut Squash from Citronlimette
- Roasted Buttercup Squash and Black Bean Soup (Dairy free) from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Vegetable Soup from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Roasted Squash and Mexican Black Bean Salad from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Roasted Squash and Sesame Noodle Salad from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Butternut Squash and Spinach Quesadillas from The Dinner-Mom
- Butternut Squash Gnocchi with Balsamic Brown Butter from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Butternut Squash Lasagna from Hip Foodie Mom
- Butternut Squash-Sage Cream Sauce with Sausage Spaghetti from Daily Dish Recipes
- Carnival Squash with Maple Sausage Stuffing from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chorizo-Stuffed Acorn Squash from Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Butternut Squash with Spicy Wild Rice and Queso Fresco from Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Pumpkin Alfredo from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Pumpkin Enchiladas from La Cocina de Leslie
- Pumpkin Risotto with Bacon, Goat Cheese, and Pecans from The Weekend Gourmet
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Brussels Sprout Pizza from Curious Cuisiniere
- Sausage and Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash from The Messy Baker
- Spaghetti Squash in a Creamy Sausage Sauce from Cookin’ Mimi
- Spaghetti Squash Shrimp Scampi from Pescetarian Journal
- Acorn Squash with Cinnamon and Cranberries from Noshing With The Nolands
- Butternut Squash and Apple Crumble from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Butternut Squash Gratin with Sage Pesto & Gorgonzola from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Chorizo and Craisin Stuffed Acorn Squash from Family Foodie
- Parmesan-Roasted Acorn Squash from The Urban Mrs
- Pumpkin Macaroni and Cheese from Big Bear’s Wife
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Balsamic Vinegar Honey Butter from Food Lust People Love
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Wilted Kale, Mushrooms and Garlic from Take a Bite Out of Boca
- Skillet Buttercup Squash with Bacon from Magnolia Days
- Slow Cooker Squash and Apples from Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Sweet N Spicy Baked Chipotle Butternut Squash Fries from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Twice Baked Pumpkin Stuffed Sweet Potatoes from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Butternut Squash Cupcakes with Browned Butter Frosting from Treats & Trinkets
- Pumpkin Pie Crumb Bars from Pies and Plots
Wine Pairing Recommendations for Squashin’ Winter #SundaySupper from Enofylz Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Sites That Link to this Post
- Black Bean and Butternut Squash Chili for #SundaySupper | Supper for a Steal | November 17, 2013
- Chorizo Craisin Stuffed Squash #SundaySupper — Family Foodie | November 17, 2013
- Butternut Squash and Spinach Quesadillas for #SundaySupper - The Dinner-Mom | November 17, 2013
- Skillet Buttercup Squash with Bacon | Magnolia Days | November 17, 2013
- Quick Pumpkin Butter — Shockingly Delicious | November 17, 2013
- Butternut Squash Pie with Cinnamon-Brandy Whipped Cream #SundaySupper | The Texan New Yorker | November 17, 2013
- Roasted Butternut Squash Lasagna for #SundaySupper | Hip Foodie Mom | November 17, 2013
- Pumpkin Pie Crumb Bars | Pies and Plots | November 17, 2013
- Butternut Squash-Sage Cream Sauce with Sausage Spaghetti | Daily Dish Recipes | November 17, 2013
- Farmhouse Butternut and Apple Crumble | The Wimpy Vegetarian | November 17, 2013
- Acorn Squash With Cinnamon and Cranberries for Squashin' Winter #SundaySupper | Noshing With The Nolands | November 17, 2013
- Vegan Pumpkin Scones with Maple Nutmeg Icing Recipe | Killer Bunnies, Inc | November 17, 2013
- Pumpkin Sweet Rolls #SundaySupper | Basic N Delicious | November 17, 2013
- Sweet N Spicy Chipotle Squash Fries ! Baked Chipotle Squash Fries | November 17, 2013
- Butternut Squash and Bacon Grilled Cheese for #SundaySupper | Ruffles & Truffles | November 17, 2013
- Spaghetti Squash in a Creamy Sausage Sauce #SundaySupper | November 18, 2013
- 43 Super Squash Recipes for Squashin' Winter #SundaySupper - In The Kitchen With KP : In The Kitchen With KP | November 18, 2013
- Roasted Butternut Squash & Brussels Sprout Pizza - Curious Cuisiniere | November 18, 2013
- Butternut Squash and Couscous Patties-Indian Inspired | November 18, 2013
- Roasted Squash and Mexican Black Bean Salad #SundaySupper | November 19, 2013
- Hearty Winter Meals - Recipe Round-Up | Favorite Food RecipesFavorite Food Recipes | November 20, 2013
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Wilted Kale, Mushrooms and Garlic for #SundaySupper | Take A Bite Out of Boca | June 22, 2014
- Pumpkin Alfredo #SundaySupper - Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks | June 28, 2014
- Spaghetti Squash Shrimp Scampi for #SundaySupper | July 25, 2014
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Wilted Kale, Mushrooms and Garlic for #SundaySupper | August 25, 2014
- RECIPES | Pearltrees | August 29, 2015