This is not your conventional recipe for eggplant parmesan but my own version. There is no breading. The eggplant slices are baked in the oven until soft and tender.
This recipe for eggplant parmesan make a good dish for entertaining. The three parts- eggplant, stuffing and sauce – can all be made in advance, so the actual assembly is quite straightforward. Once assembled they are ready to bake.
The season for eggplant is summer and is truly is best then. Eggplants in season are far superior in flavor. You will find them much easier to cook since they don’t require salting or even peeling.
You can make this dish a vegan version by using vegan cheese instead of the ricotta, mozzarella and parmesan; and omit the eggs.
- 1 large eggplant sliced lengthwise
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium leek, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium zucchini grated
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan divided.
- Tomato-Basil Sauce
- 6 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Arrange the eggplant slices on a baking sheet and brush with 2 Tablespoons olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet , heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil and add leek, garlic and, zucchini; cook until soft.
- In a mixing bowl, add the beaten eggs, basil, ricotta, mozzarella, and 1/4 cup parmesan and mix well. Add the leek mixture and mix.
- Line each ramekin with 4 slices of the eggplant, allowing the excess to hang over the edges.
- Pour the mixture in each ramekin and bring the overhanging slices of the eggplant over the filling to enclose it.
- Cover with foil and cook for 30-35 minutes.
- In a large baking dish, place the tomatoes, salt, garlic, and olive oil and mix well. Cook in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a saucepan and add fresh basil. Cook 10 minutes.
- Serve the sauce with the eggplant and top with fresh parmesan.
- Serve the sauce with the eggplant an
Category: Main Dishes