For a quick, satisfying and comforting last-minute dinner, it’s hard to beat a sweet potato baked in the microwave. The fragrant filling of beans, corn and salsa adds protein, making it a nutritionally complete entree.
I love all the ingredients.
These sweet potatoes are packed full of my favorite ingredients – black beans, corn, salsa, spices, and cheese. I’ve come to love sweet potatoes. I adore the flavor and the health benefits of the sweet potato.
Sweet Potatoes are high in vitamin B6 that helps reduce degenerative diseases, they are also packed with vitamin C and D, help maintain skin’s youthful elasticity, contribute to healthy bones, heart, and nerves.
These Black Bean and Corn stuffed Sweet Potatoes would make a great vegan meal, by using shredded vegan cheese.
This southwestern dish is full of flavor and good ingredients.
I have adapted the recipe from Cooking Light!
- 4 Sweet potatoes
- Cooking spray
- 1 small chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added black beans (such as Eden Organic), rinsed and drained
- 1½ cups frozen whole-kernel corn
- 1½ cups fresh salsa
- ¼ cup (1 ounce) reduced-fat shredded cheddar-Jack cheese or vegan shredded cheese for a vegan meal
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Pierce potatoes with a fork; arrange in a circle on paper towels in microwave oven. Microwave at HIGH 10 minutes, turning and rearranging potatoes after 5 minutes.
- While potatoes cook, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion and next 3 ingredients; sauté 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Add beans, corn, and salsa; cook 4 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Split potatoes lengthwise, cutting to, but not through, other side. Fluff with a fork. Spoon about 1 cup bean mixture over each potato. Top each serving evenly with cheese and cilantro.
Sites That Link to this Post
- Monday (Friday) Favorites | The Cookin' Chemist | December 24, 2012
- Corn and Black Bean Stuffed Sweet Potatoes | mrsburnett22 | January 4, 2013
- Case of the Mondays? | A Cedar Spoon | February 18, 2013
- 25 Hearty Meatless Recipes | February 26, 2013