Smoothie Perfection: Tips and Tricks
Smoothies are perfect for a delicious meal, a healthy snack, an on-the-go energy boost, or just because you’re in the mood for something cool and refreshing.
Not all smoothies are created equal, however. Buy your smoothie packaged from a store or whipped up at a chain, and you’re probably ingesting additives, sugar, and more calories than you hoped for.
The fastest way to a perfect smoothie? Make it yourself! The health benefits of fresh ingredients, the rainbow of colors, the nourishment and energy, all of these are excellent reasons to add homemade smoothies to your daily routine.
And best of all, they only take a few minutes to make.
Here are a few tips, tricks, and ingredients when mixing up your own recipes for smoothies.
Thickeners, Liquids, Flavoring Agents, and Sweeteners
To increase a smoothie’s creaminess and build texture, try blending one or a combination of these thickeners:
• avocado • banana • coconut • cooked grains • mango
• nuts or seeds • tofu • yogurt
For your liquid, use your favorite nut, rice, soy, or regular milk, or even a rich coconut milk. Make sure your liquid is cold. Here’s a list to start your smoothie creation imagination:
• coconut water • fruit juice • low fat milk • nut and seed milk • rice milk
• soy milk • vegetable juice • water
Delicious, natural flavoring agents that can take your smoothie to another level include:
• fresh fruit zest • fresh lemon juice • fresh lime juice • vanilla extract • ground spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.)
• maca powder (a Peruvian root powder) • fresh ginger
Choosing a sweetener is also a matter of preferences. Avoid these sweeteners to keep your smoothie healthy:
• cane sugar • corn syrup • eggs • food coloring
Instead, choose one of these healthier options: • dates • maple syrup • agave nectar
• coconut nectar • stevia
More Tips for a Perfect Smoothie
To achieve a smooth blending, layer your smoothie ingredients with dense, harder ingredients at the bottom, followed by lighter ingredients and finally liquids. For example, layer your smoothie in this order:
• ice • frozen fruits • nuts • dried fruits • fresh fruits • powders • liquids
You can optimize your smoothie by adding ingredients that pack a punch of nutrition. Essential fatty acids, omega-3s, fiber,
antioxidants, iron, magnesium—choose ingredients depending on your nutrition goals and desires. Try adding:
• pistachios, almonds, natural peanut butter • flaxseed meal (1–2 Tablespoons) • chia seeds (1 Tablespoon) • green tea powder (1–2 Tablespoons)
• cacao nibs or powder (1-2 Tablespoons) • protein powder (serving size varies by brand) • green supplements (serving size varies by brand)
Now that you have a list of basic ingredients, tips, and optimizing ingredients, use your imagination and experimentation to create your own smoothie recipes.
Do you have a favorite Smoothie Recipe?
Category: Drinks and Smoothies