I wish you could smell right now these Vanilla Chai Cupcakes coming out of the oven. The aroma is amazing.
If you love spice cupcakes and anything chai tea flavored, this is the perfect dessert for you. These vanilla chai cupcakes with vanilla glaze are not too sweet, but so moist and tender. Vanilla and chai spice mix give them an amazing aroma.
The chai spice blend is flavored with cloves, nutmeg, ground ginger, ground cardamom and ground cinnamon, which give you a cupcake that is certain to create an impression.
Since, I discovered the chai latte, I fell in love with it. I love the flavor immensely.
Make your own chai spice blend by combining and mixing the following in a small bowl:
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Store the extra spice blend in a cool dark place in a covered container.
I have adapted this recipe from the blog Culinary Serendipity!
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. chai spice mix
- 1 1/4 cups flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or 1/2 cup Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Vanilla Glaze
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Cream together the butter and sugar. Add the vanilla and beat in one egg at a time. Stir in 2 teaspoons of the chai spice mix. Fold in the flour and buttermilk or yogurt alternately and stir until combined. Mix together the baking soda and vinegar in a separate bowl, then add it to the batter and mix until combined. Fold in the walnuts and mix.
- Spoon into prepared cupcake tins until 3/4 full and bake at 350F for 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- To prepare the glaze, warm the milk and vanilla in a medium saucepan set over low heat. Add the powdered sugar and whisk slowly until slightly thickened.