When it comes to baking, the Holiday season is my favorite time of the year. I am craving for the spicy and sweet flavor of ginger, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. This gingerbread loaf has all those wonderful flavors.
This aromatic, spice-filled gingerbread loaf is even more moist the next day.
This recipe also makes 3 (3 1/2 x 5 1/2-inch) loaves; bake them for 50 minutes.
This recipe is inspired from Cooking Light.
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash of nutmeg
- 1 cup warm 1% low-fat milk
- ½ cup molasses
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ¾ cup packed dark brown sugar
- Cooking spray
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Lightly spoon all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours, baking powder, ginger, baking soda, salt, ground cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large bowl.
- Combine milk and next 4 ingredients (through eggs) in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk until blended. Add sugar, stirring until well blended. Make a well in center of flour mixture. Add milk mixture to flour mixture; stir just until combined. Scrape batter into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray, using a rubber spatula.
- Bake the loaf at 350° for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool loaf in pan on a wire rack.
- Cool gingerbread in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Combine sugar and lemon juice, stirring until well blended. Pierce top of gingerbread liberally with a wooden skewer. Pour glaze over gingerbread. Cool completely.