Brownies are definitely a favorite. These Chocolate Peppermint Brownies are a chocolate lover’s dream with peppermint flavor.
Moist and fudgy, these brownies are made from scratch.
I threw some candy canes in a ziplock bag and use a meat mallet to crush them.
They make a great addition to your holiday baking.
They look festive.
You can wrap the brownies individually and freeze them until Christmas.
- Cooking spray
- 3.4 ounces all-purpose flour (about ¾ cup)
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup water
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 large egg white
- ⅓ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 9 ounces chocolate chips
- ½ Tablespoon peppermint extract
- 3 ounces candy canes
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line a 9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper; coat with cooking spray.
- Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, 1 cup sugar, unsweetened cocoa, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Combine ⅓ cup water, and butter in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Add mixture to flour mixture; stir well. Add egg and egg white; stir until smooth. Stir in semisweet chocolate chips. Scrape batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Cool in pan on wire rack.
- When brownies have cooled to room temperature, melt 9 ounces of chocolate chips in microwave. Mix in ½ tablespoon peppermint extract. Using a knife, spread thinly on baked brownies. Immediately garnish with 3 ounces of crushed candy canes.
- Cool to room temperature and refrigerate overnight. Using a pizza cutter or knife, cut into squares.