Imagine waking up to the wonderful smell of cinnamon and apples. These Apple Cinnamon Muffins make a great breakfast or a wonderful afternoon snack.
These muffins are not overly sweet. I love the addition of the cinnamon topping.
I like to use whole wheat pastry flour when making muffins, I like the wholesomeness of the flour.
If you don’t have whole wheat pastry flour, you can use all all-purpose flour or regular whole wheat flour.
These muffins are filled with chunks of fresh apples and cinnamon. Easy to make and delicious to eat.
- 1¼ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, and finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) butter, melted
- ½ cup turbinado sugar
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine whole wheat flour, white flour, brown sugar and white sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl, beat together the egg and milk. Stir in chopped apple and melted butter. Add all at once to flour mixture; stir just until mixed (batter will be very stiff).
- Spoon into prepared muffin tin, filling each cup about two-thirds full.
- To make the crumb topping, in a small bowl, combine turbinado sugar, flour, cinnamon, and melted butter. Mix with a spoon until crumbly.
- Sprinkle each muffin with crumb topping. Bake for 20 minutes, or until muffins are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Let muffins cool to room temperature and serve.