This time of year calls for desserts and snacks with bold fall flavors, like these Cranberry Apple Butter Bars. Nothing quite says fall like a warm baked apple and cranberry dessert. Your house will smell like…well, like home.
Have you ever walked around an apple orchard with a pick-your-own basket? That’s something I miss, living in the south. We make up for it here in Florida with our local orange groves, though.
After making a big batch of my favorite slow cooker cranberry apple butter, I made these delicious Cranberry Apple Butter Bars. They are a marvelous way to enjoy the flavorful butter. My cranberry apple butter recipe uses fresh, organic cranberries and apples, but you can use store-bought apple butter, too. I saw one at Trader Joes that looked promising.
These bars are fantastic for dessert. They are equally lovely for breakfast, too. They are sweet, but not too sweet.
Every bite is a total crowd pleaser. Your crowd will love you.
These bars are nutritious, too, with the addition of the oats, walnuts, and coconut oil. Who says healthy can’t be scrumptious?
I love these bars, and now that I’ve made a big batch of the cranberry apple butter, I plan to make them again soon. I wish I could invite you over for coffee and a sample.
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats ( gluten free)
- 1 cup walnuts
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- 10 ounces cranberry apple butter, homemade or store-bought
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Line an 8-inch square pan with parchment paper.
- In a food processor fitted with the steel blade, process oats, walnuts, salt, and cinnamon until finely ground. Transfer to a mixing bowl. Add the brown sugar and the melted coconut oil. Mix gently until the mixture comes together.
- Set aside ¾ cup for topping, and press the remaining mixture firmly and evenly into the prepared pan.
- Spoon the cranberry butter evenly over the crust in the pan. Sprinkle the remaining ¾ cup crust mixture evenly over the cranberry butter; press down lightly.
- Bake in the oven for about 20-25 minutes or until brown on top.