Meet my new morning friend—Overnight Maple Buckwheat in a Jar. Making this filling, nutritious breakfast the night before is an amazing way to start the morning. This recipe gives my body a burst of energy to take on my day. With just a little bit of prep the night before, you’ll love this grab-and-go super nutritious meal.
The recipe starts with buckwheat that you have presoaked and rinsed before assembling the ingredients. I’ve tried this recipe two ways—one, by presoaking and rinsing the buckwheat ahead of time and the other by not soaking it first. Don’t skip the presoaking step, because without it, there was an unpleasant after-taste.
I love the texture of the soaked buckwheat. It still has a crunch to it. Well, a soft crunch. It’s not hard, like baked granola. It’s a different texture, and once you try it you’ll know what I mean.
Soaking instructions: add 2 cups of buckwheat to 4 cups of water. Soak for 4 hours, and then rinse very well in a strainer. Store it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use it. You can also divide it into mason jars for recipes with toppings like this one. Keeping soaked and rinsed buckwheat on hand makes for a quick breakfast.
You can find buckwheat online. Buy it here
- In a mason jar add :
- ½ cup raw buckwheat groats (not the same as Kasha) rinsed and soaked for at least 1 or 2 hours. (I soaked mine for 4 hours.)
- ¾ cup almond milk
- 2 Tablespoons chia seeds
- 1Tablespoon maple syrup or your favorite sweetener
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 banana, diced
- Leave the mixture overnight in the refrigerator and your breakfast is ready to go. How healthy is this??
- Optional Toppings:
- • Chopped fruit or dried fruit (banana, berries, kiwi, apple, peaches, nectarines, raisins, mango, etc)
- • Chopped nuts and or seeds (I used almonds)
Sites That Link to this Post
- Buckwheat-Superfood | Gourmet Cuisine | October 10, 2014
- disney cookie jars | October 19, 2014
- Healthy Breakfast Recipe Round Up | Food Done Light | January 17, 2015
- 15 Healthy Mason Jar Meals That Aren't Salads | GleamItUp | June 13, 2015
- 18 Healthy & Surprisingly Creative Mason Jar Meals | Bembu | October 19, 2015