Let’s talk about coconut oil. I started using coconut oil myself few years ago. I have been so impressed after reading about the health benefits of coconut oil, that I felt an obligation to use it in my daily routine.
Coconut oil has a long and highly respected reputation in many culture of the world.
Whenever I can, I love to incorporate some coconut oil into my recipes.
When making berry crumble bars, the coconut oil is a perfect substitute for butter, shortening or processed vegetable oils.
Eating foods containing healthy ingredients is like putting high-octane fuel into your car. You have more energy and feel better.
These Vegan Berry Crumble Bars are gluten free and packed with healthy ingredients. I use some raspberries and blueberries, but note that you can use any berries of you choice.
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats (or gluten free rolled oats)
- ½ cup almond meal
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup walnut, chopped
- 3 tbsp. cane sugar
- ¼ tsp. lemon juice
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
- 6 dates
- 4 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 cup fresh fresh raspberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 tsp. corn starch or arrowroot
- 3 tsp. agave or maple syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray an 8×8 pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine oats, almond meal and coconut flour and walnut. Pulse until oats and walnuts are fully ground but leaving some texture about one minute.
- Add sugar, lemon juice, vanilla extract to the mixture and pulse until well combined. Leaving the food processor running, add one date at a time through the shoot until all dates have been fully incorporated and the mixture begins to come together.
- Add coconut oil and blend for about 30 seconds.
- Transfer half of the mixture to the prepared pan and press down firmly to evenly distribute the crust.
- In a medium bowl, add berries, corn starch, agave and vanilla extract. Toss well.
- Fold the fruit mixture on top of the crust and distribute it evenly.
- Sprinkle the remaining crust mixture on top of the fruit and gently press down to cover the fruits
- Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes, until the top begins to brown. Remove from oven and cool on a rack.