A great dish to start your day! Baked Oatmeal with Bananas and Berries, flavor with cinnamon and maple syrup.
I enjoy oats in the morning and the possibilities are endless. This baked oatmeal is one of my favorite. I have made some baked oatmeal with apple few days ago and it was delicious.
A layer of fruit lines the base of the dish, then topped with a blend of rolled oats, nuts and spices.
A wet mixture of milk, egg, melted butter is drizzled over the dry ingredients for a heart warming dish.
Be sure to use rolled oats and not instant oats. You can make another version of this dish by using your favorite fruits and nuts.
I found this delicious recipe in one of my favorite cookbook,Super Natural Every Day: Well-Loved Recipes from My Natural Foods Kitchen, by Heidi Swanson.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- ½ cup walnut pieces, chopped
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 1½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 large eggs
- 1 Tablespoon melted butter, unsalted
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ripe bananas , cut into ½-inch pieces
- ¾ cup fresh blueberries
- ¾ cup fresh strawberries
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 375F. Generously butter the inside of an 8-inch baking dish.
- In a bowl, mix together the oats, half the walnuts, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, milk, egg, the butter, and the vanilla.
- Arrange the bananas in a single layer in the prepared pan. Sprinkle two-thirds of the berries over the top, cover the fruits with the oat mixture. Slowly drizzle the milk mixture over the oats. Make sure the milk covers the oats. Scatter the remaining berries, remaining walnuts and cranberries across the top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the top is nicely golden and the oat mixture has set. Drizzle with maple syrup if desired.