Here’s a delicious party dip with a healthy twist. This baked Quinoa and Bean Party Dip is one of my favorite appetizers to serve at a gathering. With the holiday season approaching, this Warm and Zesty Quinoa and Bean Party Dip is sure to be a crowd pleaser. Make it in advance and bake it just before serving.
This party dip has all of the Mexican flavors that I love plus healthy quinoa as a bonus. Quinoa has become popular for its protein and nutritional value, but it also tastes great! There are so many quinoa recipes out there, but this Warm and Zesty Quinoa and Bean Party Dip is definitely one of my favorites.
You can make this dip as spicy as you want, depending on the type of bottled salsa you use. If you’re really into heat, you can doctor it up even more with your favorite hot sauce. This recipe calls for shredded Monterey Jack cheese, and I’ve chosen a reduced fat version to minimize the calories and saturated fat. Tex-Mex food wouldn’t be the same without the cheese, and besides, cheese provides protein, vitamins A and D, plus zinc and phosphorus.
If you’ve never used canned green chili peppers, you’ll find them in the international foods section near the taco fixings. Canned chilies can be hot or mild, and before they’re canned, they are roasted and peeled. They really add a nice flavor to this dip. I keep a few cans on hand in my pantry and they can be stored a long time there, until the expiration date which you’ll find on the can. For recipes that don’t use a whole can, you can store the opened chilies in the refrigerator or freezer in a plastic container or Ziploc bag.
So get ready for the party and enjoy this amazing (and healthy!) Warm and Zesty Quinoa and Bean Party Dip. But wait—who needs a party? I’d eat this for dinner any day.
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (16-ounce) can organic refried beans (such as Amy's or Eden Organic)
- 1 cup organic bottled salsa
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- ½ cup frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed
- 3 green onions, diced
- 3–4 Tablespoons chopped canned green chili peppers
- ¾ cup (3 ounces) reduced fat, shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- Combine juice, cumin, and beans in a medium bowl, stirring until well combined. Spread mixture evenly into an 11 x 7–inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spread salsa evenly over beans, then spoon cooked quinoa over salsa. Combine corn, green onions, and green chili peppers; spoon corn mixture evenly over salsa. Sprinkle cheese over corn mixture. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro. Serve with tortilla chips.
Sites That Link to this Post
- » 40 Healthier Holiday Appetizers Sumptuous Spoonfuls | December 22, 2013
- Healthy Mexican and Tex Mex Recipe Round Up | Food Done Light | April 29, 2015