These cheesy eggplant rounds have all the deliciousness of a yummy pizza. Crispy and topped with marinara sauce and cheeses, these Baked Mediterranean Eggplant Rounds are fabulous.
Eggplant is one of the lower-calorie fresh vegetables. It is very rich in water The skin of eggplant contains fiber and is rich in anti-oxidants . To preserve the nutritional qualities, it is better to cook with minimal fat . In addition, it strengthens its digestibility. To demonstrate its effectiveness, eggplant is part of the “Mediterranean diet”, very beneficial to health .
According to the Mayo Clinic, the Mediterranean diet reduces overall heart-related deaths, incidence of cancer and incidence of Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s diseases.
Eggplants will keep a week in the crisper of the refrigerator.
- With its texture and flavor, it is one of the most popular vegetables when people want to reduce their meat consumption.
- Made into purees that are perfect for the lunch box.
- It is essential for the ratatouille and caponata
– Although it is not essential, you can salt the eggplant and let disgorge in salt. This practice will reduce the amount of oil it will absorb during cooking. Rinse to remove salt and pat dry.
– To prevent browning flesh under the action of oxygen, sprinkle a little lemon juice.
- 1 large unpeeled eggplant, cut into 1 inch slices
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- ½ cup seasoned bread crumbs
- ½ cup panko
- 1 teaspoon basil
- ¾ cup egg whites
- olive oil
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese and ½ cup feta cheese (toppings: fresh spinach)
- Wash and dry eggplant, cut into slices 1-inch thick and place them in a colander. Salt them and let disgorge one hour. Rinse and dry the eggplant slices.(You can Skip this step if you want.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Put egg whites in a bowl.
- In another bowl, put breadcrumbs, panko, basil, and parmesan.
- Dip eggplant slices in egg whites, then coat with breadcrumbs mixture.
- Put on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until crisp on one side. Turn each piece over, drizzle with a tiny bit of olive oil, and bake another 5-8 minutes.
- Top each slice with a little marinara sauce, spinach, and cheeses. Bake another 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted.
Inspired from Pinch of Yum.